The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
JewelWiki
JKF Member

JewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 points
Default Web Hosting

This question is mainly for Kiera, but I'd love to hear other people's opinions as well.

Kiera, who's your web host for the forum, and do you like them?
I think you're using ASmallOrange...what plan are you on if so? (you can PM me if you prefer it not to be public).

I'm asking because my host for the wiki will expire soon and I'm going to transfer it...I know message boards are pretty intensive on servers etc and I've found this to have great up-time. I know the wiki can be really slow to load sometimes, too, which can definitely be aggravating. Anyone else want to chime in on current or past web hosting experiences?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Yep, I'm with ASO (A small orange). I find them great and very well priced. I will pm you with the details of what option I have.

I have one major gripe though! And it all became very clear to everyone back in August. They DON'T keep backups. We lost 4 months of the forum because I assumed the 'daily backup' advertised, was my fall back. Not the case. They do daily backups alright but only keep it for 24 hours whereby the overwrite the previous days backup. It makes no sense to me at all but that is they way they operate it.

But so long as you know this and keep regular database backups yourself, (like I do now) I think ASO are great. I feel the wording was misleading, before I took out the plan but regardless, it's the only complaint I have.

The support is absolutely excellent and very fast so any problems you have, it can be sorted out in no time. They also have a very useful chat feature available at US peak times. More suitable to you than me but I still don't have any trouble getting in touch. But it does mean instant support.

I researched for about 4 months before settling on the right company, speaking to many webmasters and forum administrators etc as a forum has different requirements to standard web Hosting. I have started small but have noticed that soon enough, we'll be moving onto a bigger plan as the forum has gotten busier.

Traffic wise, we need to rely on bandwidth costs, not webspace costs so I was looking for the best bandwidth offer for what I could afford. I recommend you do the same. Companies offer gigs of webspace that you most likely won't use whereas their traffic (bandwidth) offer is poor and it's this that you'll use up faster, especially the more popular your site.

My husband uses F5Hosting. They offer, in my opinion, the best service than anyone I've seen...but you pay for it! He pays 3 times what I pay a month but he does use up about 50GB's of bandwidth a month which is collossal but he has a huge forum in comparison to the JKF and he's not very good with some of the background stuff to the forum software and that's where F5 come in. They do everything and backup 3 weeks worth.

Depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to spend.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points

back in August when the forum went "tits up" as Marc put it. Ha! Hey Kiera is there a way to change my join date from August to May? It's not a big deal I was just curious since I did join in May..

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

Last edited by ItBeThatWay27; 02-13-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: oops May
ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Yep there is and it is now done!

I only do this as user request so if anyone else would like their join date to reflect the real one they had during the time that the forum went 'tits up' then just let me know.
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points

ha hahaha Kiera I love what you just said hahahaha and also thanks for changing my join date

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote