The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Jewel Related Forums > Everything Else Jewel
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
arcticbit
JKF Member

arcticbit Between 0 and 10 points
Default Photos: Jewel at Innerchange

Here are some old images of Jewel playing at Innerchange Coffe-House, San-Diego. The images are from 1993/94.
The good old days Looks like Jewel loves lollipops

"I showed up to my gig hoping some people would be there, and there was probably about six and it broke my heart."
-- Jewel about her fist gig at Innerchange Coffehouse!

"They started to send these big Limousines to my Van, then they flew me to New York, and took me to these fancy restaurant for dinner.
Then they flew me back to San Diego And I thought: They want to make a CD of my music, they are so stupid!"
-- Jewel about Atlantic Records in 1994. (Pieces of You, sold 12 million copies in USA!)

-o-o-

So in a Thread (http://www.jewelkilcherforum.com/showthread.php?t=1808) that someone
says it looks like Jewel is smoking, shes not, it's a lollipop

Last edited by arcticbit; 10-07-2008 at 07:40 PM.
arcticbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Ah the good ol' days. I love looking at old photos and seeing where people came from. Jewel was so young back then and just look at how much she's changed and matured. Hard to believe she was writing such wonderfully in-depth things at such a young age. A true unknowing talent. I have always loved the comment where she says about them being stupid for wanting her to make and album. Shows how she really was so unclued at how great she was...and still is!

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
arcticbit
JKF Member

More Jewel story... (For they who don't know)

I love her story like much as her music, it's so real and beautiful. How things worked out for her...

I'll think she had good time back then, to sit down and reflex about things, make songs and poems. Her songs was very original, but I think she got some inspiration from Steve Poltz. Although they made many songs togheter.

"It was incredible, just a brilliant environment," Jewel recounted. "I'd go out to cafes and I'd feel like it was Paris in the '20s. We all were starving and no one was recognized, but here were all these talented, brilliant writers. I just felt so honored to be around them and writing with them."
-Jewel.

There are so many great storys, like; when she was discovered at Innerchange, back in '93. Jewel was at the time homeless living in her Volkswagen van, playing regular gigs at Innerchange. Inga Vainshtein, who was a local San-Diego music manager at the time, called a representative from Atlantic Records, telling about this girl, she described her singing voice as being "beautiful" and "breathtaking." Vainshtein and the rep. from Atlantic Records drove to Innerchange...

Jewel know that they was there that night, and she went to Denny's to use the sink, freshen up a little. Two old ladies came in and she heard them saying "She seemed to be a pretty enough girl, what's wrong with her." Jewel dedicated a song to them later

IT was Steve Poltz (lead singer of the Rugburns) that help'ed Jewel, to get her first gig at Innerchange Coffehose...

"I showed up to my gig hoping some people would be there, and there was probably about six and it broke my heart." - jewel.

But... word started to spread, and soon she had a regular Thursday night spot. At the start of the year, the coffeehouse was roughly 60% full, and a mere $3 got you a 3-4 hour set of original material. Soon the cafe was 100% full, and often over-crowed.

Once, when she was playing at Java Joe's it was so crowded, that the local fire marshalls came and closed it. Rest of the songs were performed at the parking outside.

Steve Poltz and Gregory Page often joined Jewel at the stage, preforming duets with Jewel, and theire own songs...

Last edited by arcticbit; 10-15-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Our_Daily_Bores
JKF Member

Our_Daily_Bores Between 0 and 10 points

Jewel is one of the last true musicians we will see in this lifetime.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
arcticbit
JKF Member

What were the early Inner Change shows like? 1994-

Jewel's early performances were quite unlike her shows now. The later shows were so packed that she often had to walk across the tables to get up to the stage.
Lacking the professional polish she's now acquiring, she often rambled off stories and spent quite a large amount of time tuning her guitar (and flaring her nostrils)
between songs. Her set lists were often improvised and filled primarily by requests. She inevitably forgot to bring a pick, and when someone from the audience offered
her one, she'd complain that it was either too thick or too thin. When anyone would get up to leave (or go to the bathroom), she'd ask "Are you leaving?" and if so, have everyone in the audience say goodbye. She'd play long sets--often up to 3-4 hours, debuting songs she'd just written and stumbling through the lyrics or making them up
as she went along. She also inevitably drank water from a large jug, while making jokes about someday receiving a corporate sponsorship from a water company. (She still found it unreal that people had to pay for good drinking water). She ended every show by saying "Remember to blah blah blah blah and always get perfect moments stuck between your teeth."As the crowds appreciation grew, so did the length of the applause, and Jewel would often blush and say "Stop it, you're embarassing me!"

After the show, Jewel would rush to the door, and shake everyone's hand and thank them for coming.

Last edited by arcticbit; 10-23-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
JewelWiki
JKF Member

JewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 pointsJewelWiki Between 150 and 249 points

I love these little snippets you're writing! Most of the information, I'm already familiar with, but reading it has a sort of nostalgic feeling from when I listened to my first Angelfood cassette!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
arcticbit
JKF Member

Default More images

I found two new vintage images of Jewel. (From San-Diego).

This is from Innerchange. Maybe 1994? or 1995?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Sonne
Super JKF Member

Sonne Between 0 and 10 points

I like those pics!
Sonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Me too they're great!

I'm a big fan of old photos. They show us so much about where we've been.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

Those are great! Thanks Arcticbit, she actually looks younger than her actual age there.

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Sitdogboy!
Super JKF Member

Sitdogboy! Between 50 and 149 points

I love the background of the first of Arcticbit's photos! I go to an art school so I love looking at art like that.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
M€RIO
aUsTrIaN kIlChErIaN

M€RIO Between 50 and 149 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticbit View Post

Jewel know that they was there that night, and she went to Denny's to use the sink, freshen up a little. Two old ladies came in and she heard them saying "She seemed to be a pretty enough girl, what's wrong with her." Jewel dedicated a song to them later .
Is that whats Im fading about?

~i wanna pilot a plane with you

~so all our problems look small too

~i
ts just an inch from me to you
~depending on what map you use

*jewelonpianoandmore=)*
M€RIO is offline   Reply With Quote