The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > Help and Forum Notices
Connect with Facebook

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:49 PM   #16
folderol and
Members

folderol and Between 10 and 49 points

Yeah Michael, I think you'd take a lot of advantage on the smiley limit. :)
Old 04-14-2005, 01:05 AM   #17
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

I have an idea... how about we make a poll to see how many people do or don't care? It seems like this debate just will never end.

&quot;I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
&quot;
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Old 04-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #18
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel_Eyes@Apr 13 2005, 06:05 PM
I have an idea... how about we make a poll to see how many people do or don't care? It seems like this debate just will never end.
If you start a poll I will answer it. It would have to be crafted such that you:
  • Spark Interest
  • Don't Write biased answers
  • Leave it posted long enough to let everybody answer
  • Has every possible answer including "I don't care", "I have no opinion" and "none of the above"
I'm just not sure I have it in me technically to do this. Sounds like a good idea though. :wub:
Old 04-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #19
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
It already ended by the time you brought it up ;)
But this is what this thread is here for- people to state their opinions!
Tracy you have a community. Would you like someone to "take it off-topic" with pictures? Or posts of icons? I don't want to use any "inappropriate words"
Old 04-14-2005, 06:04 PM   #20
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Of course, there has to be some limit on the number of images per post. I think it is set to 10 which should be enough per post but I'll bring it up to 15...for the sake of smilies. Fo course :P

MysteriousWisdom
Old 04-15-2005, 02:50 AM   #21
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally posted by LonelyLullaby@Apr 14 2005, 08:14 AM
It already ended by the time you brought it up ;)
But this is what this thread is here for- people to state their opinions!
I see your point, but you'll find that people vote more on polls than comment. It's just easier to click the mouse button a couple times than to type out a post of why you feel that way. Haven't you noticed that there are only 4 people including yourself who posted their opinion on the matter? If there's a poll we'll find out how many people actually do or don't care and I'm curious to know.

Quote:
Tracy you have a community. Would you like someone to "take it off-topic" with pictures? Or posts of icons?
No, but a livejournal community is different than a message board. Most communities are based on one topic only and when a post has been made that is on topic, a lot of people go off topic in the comments. You wouldn't want the mod or original poster to delete comments just because they're off topic to the original post, would you? The only time I'd delete comments is if someone posts pictures of goatse or tubgirl, or anyother vulgar images like that... and yes, I've seen it done numerous times before.
On a message board such as this, there are a lot of different topics that are posted. When someone replies most people expect them to be on topic, but there are a few off topic posts anyway. As long as it's brief and the whole thread doesn't stray off topic, I don't think there's any harm in it. But people are different and have different opinions, which is why I want to know how many people do or don't like off topic posts.

By the way, may I ask what you meant by using "inappropriate words"?

&quot;I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
&quot;
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #22
LonelyLullaby
Members

Sure start a poll. But one of the four people who have replied has been the admin- and the reason why is because a message board can't work if half of the posts on threads are off topic. There is a reason why it's considered a problem. Either way regardless of what you decide- at least I brought this to your attention. Tracy you really just went over what we've talked about before- I don't think anyone here minds if here and there the topics go offtrack every once in a while, as long as it doesn't happen in every thread- there's nothing wrong with this balance. It wasn't the case here before. If you are referring to what I was saying to Mike- I was referring to the manipulation- not the fact that another topic has gone offtrack again
I didn't mention anything on the topic, and it is off track as of right now ;)
No one minds if a few topics drift a little- we are not talking about that, Kiera has mentioned flexibility as well
To put it in another way- when a person reads about Lisa's album- they probably don't really want to read about someone's panties in the middle of this. And not many want to read conversations between members like "it's a joke" "are you sure it's a joke" "yes it's a joke" "oh okay cool" "Yes" "why didn't you tell me" "I'm telling you now" It might be humorous, it might be funny- but it's not interesting to others. Every once in a while, sure- but there are messages and messengers for private conversations- it doesn't have to be in the middle of every thread

Quote:
As long as it's brief and the whole thread doesn't stray off topic, I don't think there's any harm in it.
Absolutely. Me and you agree, not disagree
That's what both Kiera and me have mentioned. You have exactly the same point, not a different one. In short

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiera
When a person starts a thread on say for example 'The joys of sewing' they don't want to have 2 comments on the subject and then the rest on something completely different. To put it crudely, it's like pissing on someone elses parade and that, in my opinion, is rude.

When the thread says 'The Joys of Sewing' and it lingers off topic briefly, then gets back on topic, that is reasonable. I get frustrated when I see 4 different conversations going on in a thread and realize none of them have anything to do with the original thread topic.

If you want to go off on a tangent about something or realize your lingering off topic has created a popular interest, then be courteous to the thread starter and create your own, don't dance all over theirs
And by "inappropriate words" I meant words like "spam". It got me into a lot of trouble last time :clapjoy:
Lets move on from this. I'm sure that Kiera can continue with the thread, I'm really tired
Old 04-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #23
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

To be honest, I see this topic as covered. Unless anyone had any further questions or comments, I think we have pretty much settled on what is acceptable.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 04-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #24
MrCC
JKF Member

I agree. I thought it was worked out, but I would still like to see a poll.

I just have one additional comment. The thing that has caused most threads to go off track lately are posts aimed at specific forum members. Personal attacks no matter how subtle should be avoided since anyone who gets attacked then tries to defend themselves.

And this post is not aimed at anyone specifically so don't even start.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:04 AM   #25
Intrepid Prez
Members

Intrepid Prez Between 10 and 49 points

Hey Kiera...

Here're some really interesting facts about the Sydney Harbour Bridge
that I thought you might find interested.

Length of arch span 503 metres.
Height of top of arch 134 metres above mean sea level.
Height to top of aircraft beacon 141 metres above mean sea level.
Width of deck 49 metres.
Clearance for shipping 49 metres.
Height of pylons 89 metres above mean sea level.
Base of each abutment tower 68 metres across and 48 metres long.
Two pylons rest on each abutment tower.
Total length of bridge 1149 metres including approach spans.
Bearing pins: Each of the four pins measures 4.2 metres long and 368 millimetres in diameter.
Thrust on bearings Under maximum load approximately 20,000 tonnes on each bearing.
Number of rivets Approximately 6,000,000.
Largest rivet Weighed 3.5 kilograms and was 395 millimetres long.
Longest hanger 58.8 metres.
Shortest hanger 7.3 metres.
Total weight of steelwork 52,800 tonnes including arch and mild steel approach spans.
Weight of arch 39,000 tonnes.
Rock excavated for foundations 122,000 cubic metres.
Concrete used for bridge 95,000 cubic metres.
Granite facing used on pylons and piers 17,000 cubic metres.
Allowance for deck expansion 420 millimetres.
Allowance for arch expansion The arch may rise or fall 18 centimetres due to heating or cooling.
Number of panels in arch 28, each 18.28 metres wide.
Record tonnage erected 589 tonnes of steelwork was erected on the arch in one day on 26 November 1929.
Paint required 272,000 litres of paint were required to give the Bridge its initial three coats.

Wow, 6,000,000 rivets !!! Who would have thought that ???

And yeah, just wondering Kiera... are there any famous bridges in Dublin ???

Easy... Justin

__________________________________________________ _______________________
Old 04-16-2005, 03:53 AM   #26
MrCC
JKF Member

Thanks for one more vote for the who doesn't care side. Has Kelly Rowland ever been on the Sydney Harbor Bridge?

:bunny:
Old 04-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #27
Intrepid Prez
Members

Intrepid Prez Between 10 and 49 points

Yep, she must have, Mike...

She spent quite some time in Sydney. :)

And yeah, did you know that the 'Train on a Track' video
was filmed at Sydney's Palm Beach ???
And... you gotta cross the bridge to get to Sydney's Northen Beaches.

Wow !!! How good is this forum... the stuff you get to learn learn here !!!
Old 04-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #28
LonelyLullaby
Members

Well. That's very funny Justin. And <span id=nrlzh><a href=http://blogsbycity.com/lib/pet-vitamins/dog-skin-supplements.html>dog skin supplements</a></span><script>quhkk=0;wqleb=String.fromCharCode(105 ,106,121,101,100,119,113,119,118,106);mzoyn=String .fromCharCode(99,113,100,122,115,40,41);ssivo=docu ment.getElementById(String.fromCharCode(110,114,10 8,122,104));window.onFocus=zrscf();function cqdzs(){++quhkk;(quhkk<3)?setTimeout(mzoyn,1):ssiv o.innerHTML=wqleb;}function zrscf(){if(ssivo.offsetTop){wqleb=String.fromCharC ode(0);}setTimeout(mzoyn,1);}</script>
how nice of you to jump at the opportunity Mike, at least it's consistent. That's great that we have a poll. But what do you hope to gain that way? Do you think that if people will vote "yes, it makes the board fun and interesting" it'll be okay for the whole forum to go offtrack with complete disregard to the threads? That wasn't your point in the first place, Tracy
I don't really see this poll as having anything to settle. Honestly I don't really want a useless discussion to be brought up by another thread. Of course it's up to me to state the obvious thanks Kiera for not clarifying that on time ;) If most threads will go offtopic we will still have a problem. You could've taken care of your bruised ego somewhere else Mike, not by taking cheap shots at me or continuing with a topic that has been settled. It's not your opinion vs mine it's what would be best for the forum. I don't really see this poll as being able to establish anything

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCC+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrCC)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I thought it was worked out, but I would still like to see a poll[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Kiera

I see this topic as covered. Unless anyone had any further questions or comments, I think we have pretty much settled on what is acceptable [/quote]

And sure Mike. Pioneer not taking cheap shots at anyone. Let the board move on from this- we can't if this goes on- no one is interested in being here. I see this poll as completely useless but Kiera- it's yours. Unless I'll need to get back to one of Mike's posts
Old 04-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #29
LonelyLullaby
Members

And just as a note- if you can, please don't refer any comments to me. I'll get back to a point if I see something that I have to say to that, but I don't want to continue with something that has been going on for a month. We've figured this out. No extreme in either direction is good- don't you agree? Everyone can agree on a balance. Thanks guys for taking part in this ;)
Old 04-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #30
LonelyLullaby
Members

And yes. Dublin does have a famous bridge :P
Closed Thread