The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Andrea's thread gave me a whole new idea. I was wondering how many of you guys are superstitious and in what way
If the day starts out bad do you believe that everything from then on will go wrong? If a black cat crosses the road do you turn away to find another road to get where you need? If a mirror breaks or salt spills do you expect something bad to happen? I can be a little superstitious. When salt spills I throw it over my shoulder to prevent anything "bad" from happening even though I'm not sure how much I believe this.. and I never take garbage out at night because it's supposed to affect you "badly" financially.. Also people say that when you dream of sick teeth that are falling out that means that something really bad is either happening far away from you or about to happen and my mother believes that.. whenever she had a dream like this someone that we know has died.. the thing is I don't know if we're making the connection because we're expecting something to happen or if it really is a sign because this usually happens within a few months of her dream.. when I dreamed of sick teeth on the night before New Year's on new years something happened that took away from me one of the people that I cared with all of my heart for.. most of all my best friend.. they weren't harmed but they weren't around after that day anymore either. So do you have any stories or beliefs like that for me? How superstitious are you?
:shock:
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

Gemma

Good thread.

Im not supersticious at all - in fact those who know me very well will Know my favourite number is 13 and Friday 13th is my favourite day.

However, i make a point of not walking under ladders. But i think thats more to do with your likely to get covered in paint or something worse lol.

:lalala:
dave.
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

It really depends. I am superstitious about walking under ladders or crossing a black cat but I do believe in some things.

For example, I am superstitious that in work, you should never say...'It's quiet isn't it?' coz the phone will then ring and ring and ring.

It's more stuff like that then the old urban myths

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

i have never heard of the not taking your garbage out at night thing...hmm, that may explain some things
i dont put alot of stock into many of the supuerstitions, but for a few years i really didnt drive anywhere on Fri. the 13th unless i absolutely had to, but that stems from the fact that i was in a really horrific accident on a Fri. the 13th.
i believe gut feeling/premonitions though, often they are good warning signs! like the day i had my accident, just before i got to the place where it happened there was very distinctly a warning voice that went off in my head telling me to stop at the movie place first--i was on my way to get money to go rent a movie, so i didnt stop because i thought to myself, well that is silly, why would i stop to pick a movie before i have money. as soon as i passed the movie store the same "voice" was telling me to just pull over and stop in the tunr lane, but i didn't, and then bam a Cadillac cuts across 3 lanes and slams into me, and i was in a wheelchair for 2 months...

so, if a voice in your head tries to tell you to pull over for no good reason...do it!

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
ROBARE
JKF Member

ROBARE Between 10 and 49 points

I was born midnight on Holloween and my mom was born on friday the 13th,Oh well,I fell what ever one thinks well be. The weaker the spirt the more of a ritual needed.Any priest will tell you that the more they pray the more the sychronized the events.Lonelyluby;sorry about your friend,your lost thier gain,we say goodbye they say Hi. :care:
ROBARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

My roommate is pretty superstitious. She does the padiddle thing, and after three it means good sex or something like that. But everything she does she relates to sex in some way or another. I don't put much stock into the whole black cat or breaking a mirror or anything... but I agree with Dave about the ladder thing. :rolleyes:
Old 01-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
ROBARE
JKF Member

OOPS,I read Lonelylullabys thread to fast I thought she said past on.sorry :shudder:
Old 01-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
kjm030584

it's okay.... as long as it's not bad luck to misread something. :rolleyes:
Old 01-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
LonelyLullaby
Members

Hey guys. I typed up a big whole reply yesterday and the whole thing got deleted..I was so upset that I couldn't touch this board for some time. But in short I was just saying that Kiera-I never say "it can't get worse" because as soon as you say it always does I think even Shakespeare made a point about that through one of his characters and Andrea that I always trust my little intuition voice because I think that I do get a "feeling" when something is about to happen.. I just know it. I think that it's good because it helps me prepare for the "event" and even get over it by the time it comes to that.. I had a bad feeling about the friend (this was a year ago) and not because bad news were expected or something was in question or something bad could happen. It was a completely irrational feeling that ended up preceding the events that happened next and right now I am just scared that if I'll feel something bad coming on again I'll be right too. Also since I started this thread I've entered some kind of black line.. everything goes wrong. Am I being superstitious? :shudder: And ROBARE it's absolutely alright. Better that you read this wrong this time than right
Old 01-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
kjm030584

uh-oh... I don't know if I read that right or not.... now I'm uneasy.... I think I should stay inside at my computer all day and play on the JKF because something, somewhere, at some time could go wrong. :shock:
Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
ROBARE
JKF Member

Lonelylullaby; It seems to me that 2006 is going to be a change in your life,(sounds like a horiscope)No realy stop and think of the events that have already happen with the falling out with your friend on New Years .You may like your life with the circle of people in it, but it seems another circle is about start,Your change didn't start with this thread .But a few weeks ago.If you spend time with negative people what do think your life will be like?If you spend it with positive people like JKF :lmao: Any way, if you have a date with fate , you will not be late!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
LonelyLullaby
Members

Heh thanks ROBARE :wub: I guess you have a point there
I just hope that it's a positive change. And Kyle no teasing me :) I really am having a bad week-I really need something to blame that on :devil1: But point taken :k&a:
Old 01-25-2006, 12:00 AM   #13
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

Hmm, interesting thread this, just read alls comments, and seems a few take most superstitions with a pinch of salt so to speak...but theres always some that you know of and avoid etc, as i do meself, theres tons of those olde Medieval superstitions out there i love like; if you see an owl in the day its bad luck, a bird in the house is a sign of a death, if the person was evil, weeds will grow etc. But walking under ladders i dont do, and if i ever see a black cat...then i see a black cat...and opening umbrellas indoors is bad luck...lol, Maybe so. My superstitions lay in the things i say on a day to day basis, like before i do heavy lifting jobs at work i'v always said "Todays a good day to die" (maybe oneday it wont be) :P and such cant really think of any more but hope you get what i'm ranting on about!?
I think its real strange and interesting the unexplainable superstitios things we do/hear and say, and are brought up with in our life...they've been goin for bleedin years ;)
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:13 AM   #14
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

I have a black cat I believe it is them white cats that are bad luck
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
LonelyLullaby
Members

White cats are gorgeous. I really feel bad for black cats though.. I think people often mistreat them because they're superstitious or won't come up to them and pet them or play with them if they see the cat outside.. they're just too in a hurry to get away :) Before it crosses the road in front of them. I wouldn't want to be a black cat :) But I know what you mean Veilingmeat (by the way I love cats altogether they're my favourite animals and I would never want to treat an animal bad but I can't lie and say that I don't feel uneasy if a black cat did that in front of me.. I'd still cross but not with an easy heart) I've heard this one about the bird and about the umbrella.. I still do those things though.. In all honesty I think "believing makes it so" in many cases but at the same time I don't feel very easy if something happens that a lot of people say will mean trouble in my life :mellow: It's too bad that we believed in things like that for so many years that they still make us uneasy today.. I think we should "grow out of it" as science gives reasons to everything. I do throw salt over my shoulder if I spill it though :) And I do look twice when I cross the road on Fr 13th :doggy: