The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points
Default Venice, Here I come!

Ok everyone, I'm off for a short break to beautiful Venice with my husband and we're really looking forward to it.

I won't be back on the forum until Friday (unless I just can't resist going into the first internet cafe I see) but the idea is to get away from all the stresses in life and to have time just for the 2 of us.

I hope you all miss me terribly! I know you all will. LOL

If you have any problems or questions while I am gone, please do not hesitate to contact one of our very capable moderators:

Chris - last_dance_rodeo
Kyle - kjm030584
Andrea - Eibhlin
Dave - bluediamond

If you do wish to contact me, you can still pm me or email me at kiera@jewelkilcherforum.com however I will not be able to respond until I get back.

I'll look forward to reading the tonne of posts and threads when I get back and of course, to share all my holiday snaps with you.

Take care
Kiera

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

take some pictures so you can share them with us!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

Hence the last line Kyle. LOL

I will of course

MysteriousWisdom
Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
kjm030584

oh, "snaps"

I gotta get better about my backward lingo from accross the pond.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

well, I dont think you meant to list me as one to be contacted, as I am in fact hiding in your really large duffel and going with you...

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
kjm030584

I'd go in pieces just to save money, but I don't think that would end well.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:05 AM   #7
wackyoverkhaki
Super JKF Member

wackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 pointswackyoverkhaki Between 150 and 249 points
Smile

Once again, hope you and your hubby have a great time. What a great place to spend your birthday!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

Yeah, Venice is great if you know your way around. I got stationed their for work once. I didn't realize it but I got into a bad area and I was being chased down an alley by several thugs who found out why I was their, so PLEASE BE CAREFUL. The only place I could hide was a church. Thank God for Catholics. My venice trip got 'cut' short, so I'll hope that you'll finish it for me. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Jonesy
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
ShawnShamrock
Members

ShawnShamrock Between 50 and 149 points

Have alot of Fun , I know what you mean about the Internet Cafe, I had to fight the urge countless times to go to everyone I seen when I was In Ireland. I was like OH MY GOD I gotta go online and sign on myspace and message someone and tell them how things are here lol.

Have alot of fun ill be thinkin about u
ShawnShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

VENICE!!!! you lucky lass you, hope you have/are having a good time....Italy is one of my favourite countrys...oooh the Venetian beauty is something to behold (apart from the skanky pong of the canal/river water) but...enjoy both
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Little Bird
Administrator

Well Hello everyone!! Both glad and sad to be back.

Brace yourselves, this is a long one!

We had a brilliant time. i really loved it. I have to admit, it is a fantastic place and unbelievably safe! I couldn't get over how friendly everyone was and the level of service for pretty much everything. The only real downsides is the amount of bridges and how much everything costs. On foot it's fine, but with luggage....a total other story.

Yesterday was a bit of a waste. Check out in the hotel was 12pm and our flight wasn't until 8:30pm so there was a lot of hours to kill. We'd literally walked every inch of Venice during our trip and to say our legs had 'had-it', was an understatment. Couple that with luggage in a city full of uneven roads, narrow alleyways and lots of steps up and down bridges, needless to say, we didn't get far yesterday.

In the end, we just made our way to the airport and waited there for about 4 hours. It was a shame but not really a whole lot we could do about it.

As for the rest of the trip, it was fantastic. Venice is so much smaller than I thought but that was more of a Godsend. It meant we could walk everywhere and really see the real venice, not just what was housed around the Grand Canal. San Marco square is exactly how it looks in all the pictures but so much bigger. It was like looking at a postcard leading up to it on the waterbus.

The waterbuses were strange when you think about it. People going about their daily business on their way to work reading the paper in their best suits, hopping on a bus on water as if it were the tube was an odd thing to see but so common place there, that you eventually got used to it.

The shopping there is fantastic. All the best designer names are there right in the heart of small cafés and bars. There doesn't seemt to be a particular 'district' for these shops. They are mingled in with normal shops selling €15 clothes and souvenir shops, swanky bars and simple cafés. I like that becasue it removes the idea of elitist attitudes.

The Hotel was spectacular. Never have Peter and I been treated so well. We loved it. We stayed in the 4 star Carlton Grand Canal Hotel. I recommend it to all who wish to stay in Venice in comfort. It was very reasonable considering how much everything costs there.

It is very expensive! We had 2 coffees! Just 2 coffees! Not cappucinos or lattes or anything fancy, just coffee and it came to nearly €12. It is hard to get a cup of basic coffee for less than €5. Some places were selling cups of coffee for €10 a cup! A beer could set you back by anything from €8 per 33cl bottle to €15.

Food wise, restaurants are absolutely everywhere. You'd think with so much competition, that the prices would be competitive, sadly no. We had a meal one evening. Just 2 drinks and 2 pizza's and it came to nearly €50. As for travel. The bus costs €6 each way. It was actually quicker to walk so once we got hit with a €24 return trip cost to take the water bus, we decided that would be our only trip or we'd have no money for anything else. Walking really was easier.

You'll find souvenirs more acceptable and even beautiful cashmere scarfs for more reasonable prices but it did mean that i

I could go on and on about Venice. It was a fantastic trip. Bar the cost of living, I could genuinely live there. It's so unique.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 03-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

That's so awesome, I am really glad you had a good time! I have wanted to go there for a long time, and I'm glad people are nice there, I have always heard they were kinda mean to tourists. Too bad it was expensive! It's good to have you back though!!

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

I'm so glad you had a good time kiera. It sounds like a very romantic place and also very beautiful.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
Little Bird
Administrator

One thing I didn't mention which was a tragic side to Venice, was the number of physically handicapped and mentally ill people begging on the streets. There weren't too many but almost all of the people we saw looked to be be physically or mentally ill. It was heartbreaking really. It made me wonder if there are any facilities for those people available. Clearly there is a problem with the system if they aren't being cared for and end up on the streets.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

Yes, I missed you terribly! And I beckon some photos of the trip, please. I'd love to see more of Venice that I couldn't see because of my short visit.

Well, aside from how thin your wallet is, I'm rather glad you had a wonderful trip. I never got to see much of Venice, because I, let's just say I got caught in a jam. Yep, everything in port towns like Venice is expensive. Especially when the Navy comes in, then they tarrif anything they imported and reraise the prices on everything domestic, so we get screwed either way, what little time I was in the Navy, that is.

I remember eating at a small cafe in the Dutch side of St. Maarten, and one Coca-Cola came out to a whopping $5.

I don't know about you, but five bucks for a can of Coke was a rip! I only had one at that price.

I remeember also taking a water taxi in St. Maarten, too. Thhey wanted around $15 dollars a person to travel a thousand yards! A thousand yards of water, I could see the other side of the Phillipsburg Canal from there! It was ridiculous! I actually refused to pay such a high rate, and got off the boat!

How did I get across the river, well, I took out my wallet and keys, and money clip. I got a plastic bag from a local store nearby the water taxi stand, and I put all of my important stuff inside the bag, and took off my Hawaiian shirt and wrapped the stuff insdie it, and then put that inside the bag, tied it tight, double bagged it, and swam the distance.

I'm not lying, either. I reallly swam the thohusand feet, come on, if there's on e person on this forum who has the aquatic skills, it would be me. I came up from the beach just beside the docks in my wet pants and soaked boots. I actually felt a little ridiculous doing it, but I knew that I'd take it back on theh way back because I went thhere shopping. I knew I'd have bags in my hands.

Boy, was that different. I just swam across the water with no problem and walked up the beach to theh dock and waved at the water taxi as it pulled in minutes later.

When I got back to the dock after buying afew goods (colognes and such, some cigarettes, et cetera) they gave me the hardest time about it. Worst five minute ride of my life.

But I saved fifteen bucks and got over quicker than they could. Special thanks to the Navy and high school swim team, right!

I guess the point is, no matter where in the world you go, Kiera, and to all (I've been all over), your wallet will get scalped, unless you have some connection over there. Clearly I didn't in St. Maarten, and I think you didn't in Venice.

I got scalped all over the world, but the worst was probably St. Maarten! Although, I can remember a few places where I lived like a king for fifteen or twenty bucks!

Jonesy
007 is offline   Reply With Quote