The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

ItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 pointsItBeThatWay27 Between 50 and 149 points
Default The homeless

What are your views on the homeless people of the world? Do you want them to "get a job" or does your heart wonder what terrible event put them in this jeopardy? Has your knowledge of Jewel's experiences with being homeless changed your views at all? Do you feel like these people aren't worth as much as Jewel, or that she's better than them because she has talent? Do you feel the need to want to help people like this?
Anybody care to share their views and opinions?? Please, let's talk about it.

so close no matter how far
couldn't be much more from the heart
forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

ItBeThatWay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I won't go into detail but my family almost ended up homeless at one point. It was not our fault and only through some very helpful family members, were we able to save our home. We were and still are good people but dread the thought of where we would be if those family members hadn't stepped in to help.

Jewel herself was homeless at one point, as we all know. In a lot of ways, it made her stronger and it has shaped a lot of what she is today. But she took the right path. She didn't go down the route of alcohol and drugs that unfortunately, so many homeless people find solace in. It is through lack of support for homeless people that leads them down this rocky road.

In the end though, with support, they can only help themselves and many people, actually don't want to be saved. It is tragic but something we can't control.

Good topic Gary!

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

I have always felt sad towards homeless people, but after hearing Jewel's story or stories I think it has changed my view to add a little more empathy. Well mainly now I hear people say something about homeless people or bathing in the sink at Denny's and instead of the usual routine of judgement, I feel almost humanized and connected with them. Another reason that Jewel is so great, making me have understanding and compasion on yet another issue..
But really I used to see people bathing in restrooms and it just kind of made me sick, now I am not sure how to really react, but it does make me wonder what their story is....

and nothing else matters

Old 02-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

Well, I have met some that are just homeless becuase they choose to be, and I used to think, well why don't they just get a job until we were in a situation where we nearly lost our house, have had to be bailed out by some very generous relatives, and when Joe tried and tried but no one would hire him, and all that happy crap. I try not to judge now, my first thought is well, they hit alot of rough times, but in some cases like everywhere else, some are like that because they chose not to do something else.

I fight against my cynical nature and try not to assume the worst though.

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

I recently met this man who (and I am unfamiliar with the story, it was told to me by my friend who knows this guy) lost his house and all for some legal something or other where his own sister screwed him over and now he is homeless and sleeps behind the local movie theater at night.
I met the guy at the bookstore when I was meeting my friend and I didn't know he was homeless until later but he just seemed sort of out of his mind, it really creeped me out. I don't even know why I am writing about this.. but I don't know anything about the guy really. I just thought he was some guy sitting around at the bookstore, he didn't look homeless or anything..

and nothing else matters

Old 02-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

We shhare similarties in opinions. In the retrospect of seeing homeless peopl, you have to ask yourself: DId you put them in their position? and usually the answer is 'no'. Is it sad, yes, but guess whhat, their are 30 million people out there in the world without homes.

So, what are you going to do? join the Homeless helpers league, Saves the Whales.

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 04:51 PM.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
ItBeThatWay27
Gary, 'Disposable-Hero'

dude do you pay attention to Jewel's lyrics in the least?

and nothing else matters

Old 02-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
never.alone
Jessica

never.alone Between 50 and 149 points

yea so we can completely fix homeless people but theres nothing wrong with worrying about it
whos gonna worry about them if they have no one else to do it??
I believe you should help them out no matter what
i dont care if they choose it or not
someday they will realize it was the wrong decision but "in the end only kindness matters"

alone. always. alone. never. alone....

Come away O human child To the waters and the wild With a fairy hand in hand For the world's more full of weeping Than you can understand.
http://blog.myspace.com/butiwannaplay
never.alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Banned

Yes, "dude", I pay attention to Jewel's lyrics, but I also know that I alone, cannot change the world, I'M NOT GHANDI, OR MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. I'm a man who has enough on his plate to stuff down than to worry about constatnly helping everyone else.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Banned

Like I said, no one person can change the world, even Ghandi or King didn't. They had followers. I have enough to worry about myself DoesJewel's music fascinate me, "Yes", but it cannot change me, it has changed part of my humanity, but when you dip your foot in the real world, rmember that no one else will catch you. Michael Stone put it best whhen he said, staring down at the metropolis of people wandering the London streeets, "Look at them. You can be just like them, doing your own grind every day, same things in and out. They're crying out for footsoldiers down thhere. Go and join them, for all I care. But remember thihs, if you don't look out for yourself, who else will?"

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

Wow there are some very interesting view points to say the least. I've always felt sad for them. I know some of them choose to be homeless but most of them were put there because of something terrible that happened to them. When I lived in Sioux Falls people were complaining that they were moving the homeless shelter to another neighborhood. People were upset because their property value would go down. WHo cares? I was upset by this. It was crazy to see in one place the richest people in the city walking by them going to their offices and yet here are the poorest people int he same place. It's very strange. I will always feel sad for them and I hope and pray for them that something extraordinary will take place in their lives to help them get out of the mess they are in.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

Well, Jones, I can understand your perspective on things, and to some degree agree with it and have certainly been there. we all have our own lives to worry about, our own families to take care of etc, but finding the time to atleast think about others is part of what binds us together as humans too. There should be some balance to it you know? I wouldn't go and drive my family into the poor house to help those who are homeless, but everybody's good enough for some change...as Live would say.

Aaaahh, there are too many perspectives to this, and eventually it all leads around to how much help is too much and leads to enabling. There is the kicker, help help help but don't be a crutch.

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #13
Banned

I agree with Last Dance Rodeo's point, I don't want to see them homeless, but I'm not going to drive myself to their position trying to help them. As Kiera said, a large portion turn to drugs and alcohol as their 'solace' (good word, BTW), and they don't care or want to get out. DO I want the world to have homeless individualists? No, but I also recognize that i cannot change that.

PO1 Jones
Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #14
strengths.with.faults
Robbie

strengths.with.faults Between 0 and 10 points

It's amazing how people don't believe in anything anymore. We can change this world for the better. We were put here to do just that. If all you do is simply say a prayer for them, then you are planting a seed in their lives without them even knowing it.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #15
awiste
Alli

awiste Between 50 and 149 points

Having worked as a Case Manager in a homeless shelter, I have first hand knowledge of a lot of the issues they face. In my experience, untreated mental health issues is a major major cause for homelessness. Also, addiction--which often (but not always) stems from mental health issues or a past filled with trauma and abuse. I have also worked with a lot of families that just don't have support that they need, whether it be from their families or the government (and I don't mean welfare...) Think of someone with a major disability... most of the SSDI (social security disability income) amounts I have seen for families are around $600-$700 a month. That might cover their rent... but what about the rest of their daily living expenses? Even if they can work part time there are tight restrictions on the amount they can make. If they make anymore, they lose their SSDI. Also every single person I have worked with that has applied for SSDI has been turned down at least the first time--it is a loooong and complicated process. Then there is the issue of "why don't they just get a job." Well, what if they don't have a social security card for some reason? Or a photo ID? Can't get a (legit) job without those. Those cost money and you need one to get the other. Its a bit of a catch 22. And now (because of illegal immigration), the gov. is trying to pass laws requiring a person to have two id's to get a SS card. It makes it very difficult. Whew! Despite all these issues facing the homeless, I do agree that there are people that are not willing to take the steps needed to get through life successfully. I personally feel like if I can help just one person or one family, then I am fulfilled. That is what I want in life... make life better for at least one person. If I can help more than that, then thats great. Sorry for the long post... thats just my two cents worth.
awiste is offline   Reply With Quote