The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points
Default Eurovision Song Contest 2007

I realise this isnt everyones choice for a quiet evening in, but if anyone gets to see some of the fresh talent in Euroland they will be in for quite a shock.

Firstly the Ukrainian entry lol, omg!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/eurovisi...7/contestants/

You can watch some of the video's here.

My idea of the winner would be in this order: top 10
1st Place: Greece
2nd Place: Ukraine
3rd Place: Hungary
4th Place: Serbia
5th Place: Turkey
6th Place: Latvia
7th Place: Russia
8th Place: Ireland
9th Place: Belarous
10th Place: Germany

UK lol, forget it! last

Anyway, im hoping for Hungary to do especially well as iv'e been listening to Magdi RÚZSA's music for a few years now.

Have a great weekend everyone.

lalalala
Dave.
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Ireland have a good entry this year though I am not a fan of Dervish's lead singers vocal capabilities but the song is actually good this year and very trad irish. Apparently, they are one of the favourites anyway.

Well let's face it....no-one has won the Eurovision more than Ireland. We've won it 7 times!

I actually watched (some of) the semi finals last night (in between napping) and I particularly liked the Austrian entry. I think it's called 'Get a Life' and although it was quite repetitive, it was very catchy.

If I'm honest, I didn't hear a lot of them and although all of the talk about the UK one being crap and a bit tongue in cheek, I haven't heard it yet. Though didn't Scooch do another Eurovision song for the UK at some people in the past?

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

Well I knew the Irish song was crap but I certainly thought it would do better than the UK entry. Sadly, we came Paddy last! Malta gave the UK 12 points. What were they thinking? The song was rubbish. The Irish one was brutal though. She couldn't sing and you couldn't understand a word she was saying coz she was too busy singing through her nose. It was awful. I was embarrassed.

I was surprised Serbia won but at least it was a good song. I liked the Georgian entry the most I think. It was a bit Madonna'ish. It was fun to watch the whole thing just to listen to Terry Wogan's funny comments!

MysteriousWisdom
Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

It was pretty awful all right. I thought the Irish performance was crap. I'd seen her perform it when it was chosen (on The Late Late, the shame) and I thought that she was unsure of the song and was bound to improve. Wrong!

And her dress? She looked like a hobbit.

I liked the Russian and Bosnian entries and the guy with the women stuck to the wall behind him was funny. What country was that again? I think he was singing about touching his fire.

The Eurovision is always good for a laugh but I can't believe we were last. Scooch? Eh, what?

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

Ahhhh jeeez!!! the Eurovision Song Contest is a 110% bunch of arse munch! its a chance for a wacko group of idiots to get together and prove what a complete and utter bunch of turds they are and dress up like gimps!!! and...not only that, to also shame there country by singing a load of crap...hence why most of us laugh at the songs lol. One of my farts could make a better tune than ANY of them contestants could conjure up

these guys are much better
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloublu View Post
It was pretty awful all right. I thought the Irish performance was crap. I'd seen her perform it when it was chosen (on The Late Late, the shame)
You're not alone. We can both bow in shame. I first saw it on the Late late show too. What are we like?

Though to be fair, I had fallen asleep on the couch and the TV just happened to be on RTE when I got 'rudely' awakened by her nauseatingly nasal voice that could NOT hold a note. I really was in disbelief that we were going forward to Helsinki with that tripe. So bad.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 05-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veilingmeat View Post
Ahhhh jeeez!!! the Eurovision Song Contest is a 110% bunch of arse munch! its a chance for a wacko group of idiots to get together and prove what a complete and utter bunch of turds they are and dress up like gimps!!! and...not only that, to also shame there country by singing a load of crap...hence why most of us laugh at the songs lol. One of my farts could make a better tune than ANY of them contestants could conjure up

these guys are much better

Couldn't agree more. Like I said. I only watched if for that laugh and to listen to Terry Wogan's hilarious piss take comments. The irish commentator on RTE was Marty Wheelan. He tried to do what Terry does but he's just not a patch on oul' Wogan. Though they are both Irish men so the sense of humour is obvious.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

Well like Kiera its become an embarrasing event. Not only because the UK and Ireland will NEVER win it again, include in that anyone representing western europe.

Quite simply the eastern breakaway states need and want to win something. So, in the course of human nature lets let Serbia win something, afterall we all feel sorry for what they have been through......havent we?

Im afraid to say it, but you all remember when Sweden, Norway and Finland all gave 12 points for eachother, well you can imagine now that a country hosting it like Serbia next year will have a total monopoly of the votes next year. In fact, if i was in charge i would not even bother entering if your Polish, French, German, Spanish, UK or Ireland...BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO CHANCE!

I think we should just take our ball away from them and call an end to eurovision because honestly it will be in the Red corner for many many years to come. Why? because they are all pals with eachother.

Ok, i sound bitter, not because our UK entry sucked like a cheesy thing in suckland, but because the top 5 (russia being an exception) were total crap!

Kiera was right when she said the Irish girl was embarrasing, but how more embarrasing than the Turkish or that rubbish from Armenia.

Ok back to some real music....(grabs a Jewel CD)

lalalala
dave.
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
randallflagg
Seb

randallflagg Between 50 and 149 points

the eurovision still exists!!!
i like this game 'coz the french singers are always ridiculous!!!

randallflagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
Little Bird
Administrator

I think you're right Dave. It's run it's course and it needs to go now.

I remember when I was a kid and we'd watch this every year. That's when it really was about the music and not some political popularity contest.

Oh well... back to some real music...*gets some jewel on YouTube to listen to*

MysteriousWisdom
Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Lara
JK Fan n°1 in Croatia

Lara Between 0 and 10 points

hey, I didn't watch the show and I haven't heard none of the songs. My sister told me who won so I went to hear it and I absolutly love it! It's a great song "Molitva"....

Croatia didn't get to the finals though, and it wasn't really much of a song so...
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
Lara
JK Fan n°1 in Croatia

Lara Between 0 and 10 points

Hey, Dave, you did sound bitter, why?
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

Is this an annual things or does it only happen every couple of years? I'm interested now that politics has been brought into it.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #14
Crawfy-Glasgow
JKF Member

Crawfy-Glasgow Between 50 and 149 points

Yeah i totally agree with Bluediamond and Kiera,the UK & Irish entries were pretty crap,but it's certainly not the quality of the songs or singers that matter anymore in this ridiculous competion,it has been gradually veering towards the political 'old pals act' voting for all the obvious countries.
Good old Terry Wogan sussed it out a few years ago now,and he can almost guess the where the top points are going before they are announced,i think we all can.The whole spirit and true competitive nature has dissapeared from it because of the political voting.
I have no sour-grapes about the UK nearly getting the dreadful Nil Points,i thought it was quite funny in the end,but the UK and Ireland will never win this competition again,people in other countries don't like Britain that much with their involvement in the war etc,and we have NO CHANCE of getting any decent votes in the future.
I agree that the UK & Ireland should get some pride and self-respect back and withdraw from this stupid contest in the future.
The Brits and the Irish have produced some of the best talent in the music business over the last 50 years or so,why even degrade ourselves by entering some rubbish song into a rubbish contest.
The acts get more eccentric every year,it's a total joke !!!

Cheers Crawfy !
Crawfy-Glasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:28 AM   #15
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfy-Glasgow View Post
I agree that the UK & Ireland should get some pride and self-respect back and withdraw from this stupid contest in the future.
Agreed!!! and yer right laddy about them lot producing some all time greats in those good ol pop days!
But....the trouble is they wont, the same time next year, yet another bunch of stupid fops will get together and think once again that there a serious act...i'm not surprised that bloody Crazy Frog aint placed an entry yet!

May the Demons have mercy on that *******!!! and dont piss down my back and tell me its raining is a saying!!!
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote