The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #16
kelane6
JKF Member

kelane6 Between 10 and 49 points

Well when not doing the mom thing for my gang of 4 monsters, I sometimes call myself a nurse. Or an under appreciated slave in either case.
kelane6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #17
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

uuugh kids!!!! gotta love em tho lol
Anyway....as prolly may already know...i work in a public waste site ie.*dump* as we like not to call them, as we really are classed as recycle workers, as it is in a way a recycle site, coz the general public just cant be arsed with it all the lazy turds, baaaaaah i HATE them....anyway in a small town called Stowmarket!
I like the job, it pays well which matters most, and your outside allday rain, wind or shine i'v even developed a six pack from this job...so it keep's oneself fit!
...ohh and did i mention that i hate the general public?
The regulars are top notch ppl the vast array of 'good' ppl out there are far few and far between...but being fair...there are 'actually' good folks out there
So thats my job...a total b*stard, public enemy No1...trying to save the planet with recyclable waste, and from obnoxious scumbags in your local day to day waste site
Have a nice day nudge nudge, wink wink!!!
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #18
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

I'd have never guessed their was another one of us in the economics field, webbed and I do almost the exact same thing, although not totally the exact same thing. Well, here's to Ricardian Theory of Inverse Equivalence! (Only webbed and I know about that one! It's a b@stard learning that one!)

And i didn't picture Kelane as a nurse, or LDR as a mental health worker. It's really reassuring and nice ot know that people on the forum are workign for the better good and common decency of people.

Mark, this includes you, you help keep things goin smoothly and you do a service most people tkae for granted, I commend you and your fellow six pack. I got mine from eating chkcen breast for almost five months (I'm so godd@mn tired of chicken breast and tinned sardines!) and running 4K dialy and my morning routine of crunches. I can do a thousand now. Glad you got yours less painfully, Marco. My method firggin sucked! if i never eat chiicken or fish again, I'd be happy, but htat's not oging ot happen, once you've got them, you've got to keep them!
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #19
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

OMG you guys I have the best job ever, it pays crap but this is what makes it all worth while today I was doing a 3-10 shift and I never get those shifts so I pretty much had to take the guys out to go shopping for stuff and to go out to eat and all that so I took out 3 guys, one at a time though, then i get back to the house and there's this one guy who has down syndrome and i'm just high fiving him and talking to him and he says I love you. Omg you guys it made it all worth while then I went to his room with him and he got his little pound puppy and he said a prayer and he wanted me there with him so we both prayed and then I tucked him into bed and it was just a great night. I love my job
Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #20
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbed View Post
Keira,

After you have your baby, your primary responsibility is to patiently (and boy do they test your patience) hold the baby except for when you change the diaper or get ready to make milk. Your other responsibility is to get sleep whenever the baby does (as you hold the baby in your arms, probably, because not long after you put the baby down, the baby cries...). And your final responsibility is to sing Jewel songs to the baby until Jewel releases a lullaby CD.

It's otherwise not too different from the jobs that you've had: you check the diaper, wet wipes and clothing inventory and forecast how long they will last and arrange timely delivery of those supplies. You manage the product placement location so that you can get to them quickly enough to minimize the time to changing the baby diapers before the baby pees on the changing table.

Then there's the getting your hands dirty thing, but I won't get into that. You'll be building swaddles (the burrito making using baby blankets), tracing the whereabouts of pacifiers that disappear, lugging around enough gear to fill a car trunk and be a mechanic as you take care of the occasional leaks.

The good news is that after a few months, the baby will start smiling, will start to sleep through the night (but DO NOT sleep in the same room as the baby), and your days will start to look less hazy/blurry and you'll once again have a social life (sort of). But everything else remains the same, except that this time, they learn to manipulate you with their crying and tantrums.

The first three months are tough, but eventually, you'll love it all. We look back at the scrap books for the last 9 months and we see how our baby has changed from month to month. And time flies!

So enjoy being pregnant, enjoy being a new mom, and if you start to leave incomprehensible posts, we understand.... provided that you forgive me for posting my own set of illogical posts.

Best wishes for you and your baby!

- Shu
I've been a nanny in the past and know quite a bit about kids. Though it's always different with your own. Thanks for the tips. I agree with not sleeping in the same room. We will be decorating the babies room soon. Can’t wait.

As for when I return to work after almost 7 ½ months of maternity leave, the department I work with now will have moved to the UK so my current employer will offer me a new job. That’s what I meant by doing something different when I return to work. I’m so glad that we have a good maternity leave system here that I’ll be able to take so much time off work. We’re entitled to 26 weeks leave and receive state benefit for those 26 weeks. Plus I’m adding a few more weeks of my own holiday entitlement as well as the allowed public days added on to that so it’ll be nearly 7 ½ months off to just be with my baby.

I know it will be hard to return to work but I have always maintained that I’d like to have both a family and a career if I can balance it well enough. I love to work too much so it would be hard to give it up completely. Besides, we couldn’t afford for me not to anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing what I will be doing when I come back. It really could be 1 of a number of different things as I’ve gained a tonne of experience in various different areas of the business here so I’m lucky to have such a choice available to me.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #21
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

I work in IT, my exact title is Principal IT Technician.
It sounds posh but 'principal' meaning 'old' for sure

I don't really get my hands dirty either now as most of support is remote and internet based.

My 'other' job is website design which i have been doing in my spare time for over ten years now and i have a portfolio of around 40 sites, some of which you can see: http://www.bluediamonddesign.co.uk

Im in the process of updating my own at the moment so its nothing special.......yet

Oh and of course co, Admin for JKF the best Jewel Kilcher Forum in the world...........and thats official now.

lalalala
dave.
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #22
kelane6
JKF Member

"And i didn't picture Kelane as a nurse"

I'm almost afraid of what he has me pictured as....did I come across that badly? I got to say some of the biggest freaks I've ever seen are in the medical field, guess it takes all kinds.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #23
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

especially those ones that dabble with the dead! pathologist's & physician's etc, very intelligant folks tho...but i'v heard strange things about them lot!? guess you have to be 'not all there' to do a grim job like that?
ooh and doctors with beards!
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #24
Banned

Hey, first off, why the hell does every one of you turn everything around? You're all so touchy and cynical! I swear it's not even fun being here anymore.

In all actuality, I pictured you as a school teacher, Kelane. That wasn't some driected evil remark or meaning anything badly towards you. Why do you all turn thigns arond and twist and contort what I say? It's so old.

I know many nurses and they must know a plethora of knowledge, you know this Kelane, being one. I repsect you for being in the medical field, if anything. I don't disresepct you for choosing that, because I'd be an ignorant uncoothed moron if I did. THey practically memorize the PDR. I know a lot about your profession.

I'm done with htis thread, I shan't post here again.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #25
Banned

Final word, why don't you people read the entire paragraph and post next time before making coments and jumping to conclusions!

I swear I'm right, I just log on nowadays to see what people write about me and furthermore argue with them. This is not what the forum is about, but I'm done next time this happens. Last straw.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #26
kelane6
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Hey, first off, why the hell does every one of you turn everything around? You're all so touchy and cynical! I swear it's not even fun being here anymore.

In all actuality, I pictured you as a school teacher, Kelane. That wasn't some driected evil remark or meaning anything badly towards you. Why do you all turn thigns arond and twist and contort what I say? It's so old.

I know many nurses and they must know a plethora of knowledge, you know this Kelane, being one. I repsect you for being in the medical field, if anything. I don't disresepct you for choosing that, because I'd be an ignorant uncoothed moron if I did. THey practically memorize the PDR. I know a lot about your profession.

I'm done with htis thread, I shan't post here again.

I'm just kidding!!! I tend to be sarcastic and dark in my humor sorry to offend. I know you didn't mean anything by it. Really, no hard feeling?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #27
never.alone
Jessica

never.alone Between 50 and 149 points

hahahha..this forum makes me laugh

alone. always. alone. never. alone....

Come away O human child To the waters and the wild With a fairy hand in hand For the world's more full of weeping Than you can understand.
http://blog.myspace.com/butiwannaplay
never.alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #28
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

I'm a manager for the worlds largest independent mobile phone retailer, dontcha know. It's good fun but ridiculously hard work. I won't be doing it for very long because the hours are just too long. Last monday I hade to do an audit (which we do once a month) and I worked from 7am to 9pm. I know a lot of people have tougher jobs but I really felt sorry for myself that day (bring on the violins, I know).

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #29
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by never.alone View Post
hahahha..this forum makes me laugh
Me too! LOL...and I run it!

Chill people...chill!

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #30
DreamsLast
~~Moderator~~

DreamsLast Between 50 and 149 points

Clinical laboratory scientist in a molecular biology lab. Yes, I'm a science nerd! ;-) But I absolutely LOVE my job!!!