The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points
Default Your Occupations

I know this is a touchy subject for some (including myself) so you can be vague if you'd like to. I was curious what kind of working classes and types of work people did on the forum, and i figured I'd start off, somewhat vaguely.

I help fix problems.

(Edited by 007)

Machinery and radios and such, electronical equipment.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

so you're an assasin now?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
Banned

An assasin, no, too much Dalton movies gone wrong in my court I think, I fix mechanical things like electronics, and when they don't work, I ship them to the yards to be destroyed. Parts and such, dude, you read into a bit of wit too much. SMile, it's good humour.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
artistindisguise
JKF Member

artistindisguise Between 0 and 10 points

my occupation is... bleghk. high school student.

. . .
[[smocks are smexy]]
. . . pieces of us die everyday . . .
Eat the flesh
Spit out the seeds
artistindisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

i work with the mentally disabled and love it
Old 07-18-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
Banned

Really, so you volunteer at, what, hospitals? How long have you been doing that.

Technically, my daytime official business is economics, but it sucks and I've been trying to find a way of getting out of it for a while, I work on machinery a lot at night and I find and repair things for people, it teaches me a trade if this whole economical activity thing should fall through.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

it's not volunteer it's my career but i volunteer a lot to do overtime
Old 07-18-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
ROBARE
JKF Member

ROBARE Between 10 and 49 points
Wink

last_dance_rodeo I tip my hat to you,I have over 6000 hours of volunteer at the childrens center,not my real job!!!
ROBARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
Webbed
JKF Member

Webbed Between 150 and 249 pointsWebbed Between 150 and 249 points

I'm a finance exec. My bio is on http://www.macusight.com/about_macus...ement_team.php

It's fun to work at a pharmaceutical. It's rewarding, especially if the clinical trials make a difference for people.
Webbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I was in IT Support for nearly 7 years and gave it up last year to move into commercial merchandise planning for a retailer here in Ireland. I specifically work in the clothing department in Head Office. I manage all the sales and stocks reports, manage all the markdowns, forecasts, control with suppliers of delivery. All very boring but I've actually learned a great deal from it and certainly don't regret the move.

I do miss the IT side. Getting the hands dirty and tracing cables, building machines, lugging equipment around and being like a mechanic for computer equipment. It had many pluses but too many cons and I needed a change.

I'll most likely be doing a completely different job when I come back from maternity leave so watch this space.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
never.alone
Jessica

never.alone Between 50 and 149 points

im with artistindisguise...just surviving high school, i wont get a job until i graduate. i'm excited though!

alone. always. alone. never. alone....

Come away O human child To the waters and the wild With a fairy hand in hand For the world's more full of weeping Than you can understand.
http://blog.myspace.com/butiwannaplay
never.alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

I am a professional child chaser, feeder of horses, gardener and an occasional artist

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
Banned

Let me rephrase, I work for a stock broker, whom I shall not name for their privacy. I started there on internship when I was 19 and loved the market and the economy so much I put in over 100 letters requesting permanent stationing here in the local office in Charleston, SC.

I served one year in the Navy under a corps training op program learning the skills of salvage. I almost didn't get in because of a visiual impairment, but with my MOS, they let me in under certain conditions. I went all around but mainly home was in Norfolk, VA Naval Base. Spent a while there.

DOn't feel bad aobut being in high shcool, we all went htere, bmost of us came out alive. WHen I was your age I ws in the military, I had twelve dollars in my pocket and a bus pass to Norfolk. Be happy you are where you are, and live it up while you can.
I recently acquired a workshop space with a bunch of tools and machines, and with the help of an older guy, he's teaching me some basic machinery and how to work and reapir certain tools. SO I'm an economist by day, machinist by night. SOme of this stuff is so cool, I've got sewing machines from teh 1940's and typewriters, a plehtora of antiques that aren't quite perfectly working but I can fix them all, and i get to keep all of it in the ned. SO i"m happy, although I'd also be happy not to get my fingers chopped off, some of this stuff is dangerous. SO I've got a guy teaching me some things. You can't call it an occupation, more of a hobby that could turn into one.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
Webbed
JKF Member

Keira,

After you have your baby, your primary responsibility is to patiently (and boy do they test your patience) hold the baby except for when you change the diaper or get ready to make milk. Your other responsibility is to get sleep whenever the baby does (as you hold the baby in your arms, probably, because not long after you put the baby down, the baby cries...). And your final responsibility is to sing Jewel songs to the baby until Jewel releases a lullaby CD.

It's otherwise not too different from the jobs that you've had: you check the diaper, wet wipes and clothing inventory and forecast how long they will last and arrange timely delivery of those supplies. You manage the product placement location so that you can get to them quickly enough to minimize the time to changing the baby diapers before the baby pees on the changing table.

Then there's the getting your hands dirty thing, but I won't get into that. You'll be building swaddles (the burrito making using baby blankets), tracing the whereabouts of pacifiers that disappear, lugging around enough gear to fill a car trunk and be a mechanic as you take care of the occasional leaks.

The good news is that after a few months, the baby will start smiling, will start to sleep through the night (but DO NOT sleep in the same room as the baby), and your days will start to look less hazy/blurry and you'll once again have a social life (sort of). But everything else remains the same, except that this time, they learn to manipulate you with their crying and tantrums.

The first three months are tough, but eventually, you'll love it all. We look back at the scrap books for the last 9 months and we see how our baby has changed from month to month. And time flies!

So enjoy being pregnant, enjoy being a new mom, and if you start to leave incomprehensible posts, we understand.... provided that you forgive me for posting my own set of illogical posts.

Best wishes for you and your baby!

- Shu
Old 07-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Webbed
JKF Member

I agree with 007: 20 years from now, you'll look back at high school and college and think about how good you had it. As a working adult, there's no such thing as summer, winter and spring break, and everyday is like taking a test.

My only comment is that I suggest that you make good friends now and continue to build friendships, because in the real world, it's all about who you know (or who know you).