The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points
Default Pocket change?

I was wondering and had a silly idea for a thread. I was talking to my tailor and he keeps harrassing me to the point of assault about the amount of things I carry in my pockets. He makes my suits and trousers to fit me and never encourages me to carry anything in my pockets, so as not to ruin the line of the bespoke suit.

Well, if you're like me and cannot function without some jingle in your pockets, what do you do? You carry your stuff wiht pride!

Well, I thought about this and laid out all the things I carry in my pockets out on my desk this afternoon and looked at them all. Not just pockets, but what do you carry on your person in general. My shirtier gives me hell over wearing an Omega Seamaster because it is too bulky and ruins the cuff of the shirt, so he must make the cuff larger.

I know I sound a little weird mentioningthis, but I was jsut curious if I was the only one who carried mountains of things in his pockets. I'll list what I carry on my person. I'd like to hear what you all carry.

I try to confine myself to the same things every day. On my wrist, I wear an Omega Seamaster Professional chronometer on a titanium bracelet. This is not just needing a reliable timepiece in my job. It provides as a great knuckleduster. I'm sure their are some who could attest to the power behind it, if they were around.

In my pockets, left:

-A Black leather billfold (not a wallet, but an actualy billfold) that is pretty well worn, but once an expensive leather garment. I've had it for years, the things near worn out. (I usually carry this in the inside left breast pocket of my jacket.)

-A Waterman stainless steel rollerball pen that was a gift upon my graduation. It serves as a great writing instrument and a memento of days old fun. I've never used another pen, it ages beautifully over time.

-One stainless steel money clip with no symbols or engraving, I prefer not to have anything ostentatious. It's pretty plain looking, jsut a steel money clip. Nothing special.

-Exactly one dollar in change every day, four quarters. Don't really know why I do this, something my old man used to do. It comes in handy, though. Come on, how many times do you pay for something and it is not exactly on the dollar!

-Bo'sun's Pipe: I know this is going to sound insane, but to remind me of my days in the Corps, I carry my old initiation bo'sun's whistle. It is well beaten by now and could seriously use a good polish and buffing, but I keep it looking antiquiated even htough it's not. It's my good luck charm. I carry it every day.

Right pocket:

-Cell phone, BlackBerry. You know, I used to carry around the laptops and all that, but the BlackBerry keeps it all regulated and prepped for me in one easy little Berry. I love it, great for several reasons, although I don't know how much longer I'll keep it. I should get something cheaper and smaller.

-One cotton handkechief I use to dab. Hey, we all sweat, and I hate having hte oiliest skin known to man, therefore I can't help but to dab on.

-Sunglasses: I prefer the regular aviators as they are the original suglassss apparel for men, so I always keep a pair handy. Hey, I'm in Charleston, it's hot and bright down here all year long!

-Mints: whatever I can find that locks securely and is small, usually tic tacs. Hey, gotta keep the breath fresh.

-Business card case; stainless steel regualr plain looking card case I keep ten cards in at all times. The cards are simple, with my information on htem, profession looking. Subtle off white paper, more of a cream colour or ecru with raised letters in Roman type, the thickness is perfect on a linen fiber cardstock, it even has a watermark.

I keep an Irish linen handkerchief in my breast pocket at all times, sprayed with St. John's Lime Cologne. It adds a subtle scent of lime to a beuaitful linen handkerchief. You never know when a lady needs a handkerchief, and you don't want to hand her the one you keep in your pocket to bleed and wipe sweat on, do you? Therefore, having a crisply unstarched ironed handkerchief with the light fragrant scent of limes is touching and therefore affects a good introduction.

Do any of you carry the exact same things every day (I change out the handkercheives, just for hygeine!) But do any of you all fall into this category?

If so, please tell us what you carry.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

Well you asked...and one shall hath an answer!!!

One or Two bits of snotty tissue that are stuck together from blowing my nose on various amounts of times.

Shrapnel (petty cash) most of the time no more than about 10 quid

a spiffing ole good pack of Drum rolling tobacco....and a lighter

ALWAYS a pack of peppermint Orbit chewing gum!

the essential keys of life!!!!

a rubber johnny....not that i'm really going to use it often enough as i'd wish but i thought i'd share that with you all

ooh and always without a doubt, a few odd bits of mysterious fluff

So....sum this all up, i dont really have bugger all thats worth my aid in my smelly pockets, besides, i guess it serves me come what may!?
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Banned

Good list, I like heharing what people carry around. And not to get too out of line, but maybe ladies couldl actually say what they keep in purses. I've only been in tow myself, one was my mother's when I was a child and she tuaght me otherwise. hte otehr was a paritcular young lady who had a passion for sedative and D.H. Lawrence novels, oh yes, and lipstick.

I actually wonder if I'm the only one who cares what people acrry in their pockets.

I'll admit, I carry a piece sometimes and I didn't feel the need to mention that at first as it would scare people away from the subject.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

Well I'm a girl so I have the luxury/burden, whichever you prefer of carrying a bag. I have a list I call out to myself everytime I leave the house so that I have everything I need which goes in this order; money, make-up, glasses, phone's, keys, mp3.

Money-well it's obvious. It all gets stuffed into a DKNY wallet my brother bought me for Christmas.

Make-up-I'm a glamour girl and I don't go out without my make-up. I must stress that I'm not into wearing a lot of it as I believe a little goes a long way
but it's essential nonetheless. I don't carry all my make-up, just the essentials.

Glasses-for driving

Phones-One personal, one Blackberry for work. It's a bit of a pain having to carry two but it gives me the option of turning off the work one when I don't want to be contacted.

Keys-Work/Home/Car

mp3-I use it at the gym, plug it in at work and connect it to my car stereo. I have a Creative Zen 30gb which has a battery life of about 8 hours. Way better than an iPod.

Like you 007 I usually carry a pair of sunnies, but only in the summer. The weather in Ireland sucks big-time. It's lashing rain at the moment and it's mid-May!

So that's it. I do the list in my head in a Monica Gellar-like way every time I go out. Pocket's are out for most girl's you'll probably find!

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:19 AM   #5
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

i just carry keys and my wallet that's it
Old 05-17-2007, 03:59 AM   #6
never.alone
Jessica

never.alone Between 50 and 149 points

Money/Change and bobby pins is about all I need...and well sometimes the cell if its not in my purse

alone. always. alone. never. alone....

Come away O human child To the waters and the wild With a fairy hand in hand For the world's more full of weeping Than you can understand.
http://blog.myspace.com/butiwannaplay
never.alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veilingmeat View Post
Well you asked...and one shall hath an answer!!!

One or Two bits of snotty tissue that are stuck together from blowing my nose on various amounts of times.

Shrapnel (petty cash) most of the time no more than about 10 quid

a spiffing ole good pack of Drum rolling tobacco....and a lighter

ALWAYS a pack of peppermint Orbit chewing gum!

the essential keys of life!!!!

a rubber johnny....not that i'm really going to use it often enough as i'd wish but i thought i'd share that with you all

ooh and always without a doubt, a few odd bits of mysterious fluff

So....sum this all up, i dont really have bugger all thats worth my aid in my smelly pockets, besides, i guess it serves me come what may!?
None of this surprises me. It sounds very similar to my husband, bar the 'rubber johnny' (long time since I heard that description) and perhaps the snotty tissues.

If I were to outline everything in my handbag, I'd be here allday. I only have a small handbag but it's amazing what I can store in it.

Guaranteed items though:
Phone, hairbrush, lipstick, chapstick, nail file, paracetamol tabs, Extra sugarfree gum, Swiss Army card (size of a credit card but has loads of little tools on it), keys for car, keys for my house, keys for my mothers (separate from each other - hate big bunches of keys) and of course...the all important black leather wallet! Not a purse, I like wallets.

I'm not one for carrying much cash around. I'd say on any given day, it's €20 or less. I buy most things with my debit card so I generally don't need to carry cash but I always have about €5 in various bits of change.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
bluediamond
Administrator

bluediamond Between 150 and 249 pointsbluediamond Between 150 and 249 points

No Ben & Jerrys choc fudge brownie in your pockets then lou?

007 i dont really carry anything in my pockets, but i do keep some small change a small fluffy hamster, some salt sachets a bowl of cerial and a photo scanner just in case, because you never know when all those things can come in handy

lalalala
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
louloublu
Super JKF Member

louloublu Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
No Ben & Jerrys choc fudge brownie in your pockets then lou?
LOL! I tried that for a while but it got very messy.

"You thought I didn't notice the skin on your teeth had a tear."
louloublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
bluediamond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloublu View Post
LOL! I tried that for a while but it got very messy.
mmm
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #11
last_dance_rodeo
Temporarily Absent Mod

last_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 pointslast_dance_rodeo Between 50 and 149 points

Dave you sound like macgyver (sp?)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
bluediamond
Administrator

lol Chris, i was thinking of loulou with soft melting chocolate sauce....mmm

as for the things in my pocket, i also have sarcasm in there ok

lalalala
dave
Old 05-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Oh God, Dave's off again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloublu View Post
mp3-I use it at the gym, plug it in at work and connect it to my car stereo. I have a Creative Zen 30gb which has a battery life of about 8 hours. Way better than an iPod.
Yet another thing we have in common - I have the 60GB version, filled with Jewel of course though I don't always carry it around with me. The 60GB is a bit chunky.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
puck023
James

puck023 Between 50 and 149 points
Default 5

Before I leave my apartment for school I make sure I have my five essential things to get through the day.
1. Wallet – A silly little black leather wallet with a Mercedes symbol on it that my sister gave to me when she bought her car.
2. Ipod – A must! No way would I be able to get through the day without this little gem of technology.
3. Watch – Swiss Army with a rubber band.
4. Keys – Couldn’t get far without them
5. Sun glasses – Rayban aviators

All these items fit into various pockets with the exception of my watch which fits nicely around my wrist. Also if the sunglasses if I’m going to be sitting down. Crunch!
puck023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
Banned

Hey, Puck, I'm glad to see someone else wears Ray Ban Aviators! I've had my pair since basic and never gotten rid of them. I love them to death.

Also, for Dave, I carry one pigskin briefcase with a red matted inside that I bought from Swaine Adeney and Brigg and saved up for four months trying to buy it. Inside you'll find 25 gold sovereigns and 25 sivler dollars(US currency), you'll also find a compartment for documents on the back of the briefcase that you can lift up. A rather ingenious idea that I use to keep any work related things in, which I had installed by Worley's Leathercare experts, but since their demise I have no other means of reworking my newer cases. Also, you'll find an old school Gillete double edged razor(Never know when you missed a spot, right Dave?). THe razor, if handled properly can serve as knuckleduster. Also, a pack of cigarettes (Lucky Strikes or Camels) with a camera inside, activated by light sources. Had it installed in Wahsington, that's m really only true to life 007 gadget, it cost a pretty penny to have set up. Also, you'll find a cannister of OC mace spray inside the travel tin of shaving cream for last resort purposes in case I forgot the roscoe. I also keep a small evidence kit used for collecting of samples, will hold liquids and solid substances.

Inside the case is also my credentials and ID tag and usually I keep some leather gloves, and several latex gloves for the job. And about ten legal pads I use to scribble notes. And I've always kept a solid red tie in the case, for some reason if I need one in a hurry. Red goes with any suit that I wear, which are only gray or black. I never am seen during work without a gray or black suit. I think I've worn that navy one once since I've had it made. Sorry guys, I'm actually a fan of going tieless, but if I'm going to the boss' office, I quickly forge out a four-in-hand knot. Never a Windsor, as they are suspect of indicative evil intent. I never trust a man who wear a Windsor knot. Sometihng an old friend taught me.

That's usually all I keep in my case, now that we brought up purses, I felt the need to mention my case.

Oh yeah, before I forget, now that we are talking about what we carry on our person, I always wear my old issued dog tags (ID Discs) from service. I keep one around my neck and in the boots, one each. That way if something ever does happen to me, I'll be able to be identified from either boot or around my neck. It's something I'm usd to and I keep them very close at all times. I remember the medic once freaked out because he couldn't ID one of the guys because he'd forgotten his tags and his upper body was, well, lets just say it was missing, so I always carry my tags with me. I don't even have a legitimate reason for it, but I've seen situations were they came in handy.

That's my useless stuff I carry, anybody else carry something like that you think is lucky but is actually usueless for justification.