The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
JThisWay620
JKF Member

JThisWay620 Between 50 and 149 points
Angry The Ring of Death

I just wanted to share with everyone that my Xbox 360 has given me the dreaded Red Ring of Death which means my 360 is experiencing a "hardware malfunction." I'm very sad....lonely even. I've had the console for 18 months and now it goes out on me. *sigh*
What sucks even worse is not the pepair fee, but the fact that I'm going on my 2 week vacation from work and was looking forward to clocking in many hours on my sexy next-gen console. Grrrr!!!!
JThisWay620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Apparently, you can resolve this by wrapping it in a towel and leaving it on all night. My husband is a big XBox 360 fan and plays his daily. He was only telling me the other day about people fixing their ring of death problems by doing the above. I believe it has something to do with cooling, which is odd considering you're supposed to wrap it in a towel and leave it on all night.

Tell ya what, I'll ask Peter for all the details and get the links from him on what exactly you need to do and the science behind why this works and get back to you.

Don't give up hope just yet! I'm not saying this will fix your problems but it's worth a try.

Peter is dreading this ever happening to him. He was the second person in Ireland to get an XBOX 360 so it means his is first generation which are the ones to have broken the most. Apparently, there is an 18% failure rate on the first generation of consoles of the 360 sold. That's phenomenally high. And of course most of these broke AFTER the warranty expired. Typical.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Little Bird
Administrator

Actually, here ya go.

CLICK HERE

There's even a YouTube tutorial. I'm a bit skeptical about the whole thing but I do remember my husband telling me the whole science behind it which made loads of sense (as I'm a techhead) but I've stupidly forgotten what it was. I'll have to ask him again. The pregnancy has my mind in a mush. Sorry.

Good luck. Tell us if it works! I'm really looking forward to knowing if it works.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 06-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
JThisWay620
JKF Member

Thanks for the help, I actually saw this video in my frantic search for a way to remedy my 360 without having to ship it out for repair. However I've already payed the repair fee and am ready to ship the thing out. Thanks!
My thumbs feel so...useless....
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
Little Bird
Administrator

Ah that's a pity. If it happens again, you should try this. I was really curious to see if this would work for you.

Oh well. I hope you get it back soon so you can get playing again. What's your favourite game? Peter loves all the Halo games and Ghost Recon. The graphics on those just blow me away. His birthday is coming up so I got him the new Colin McRae game 'Dirt' as well as Forza coz he loves the racing games too.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
JThisWay620
JKF Member

I would say my fav game is the Eldar Scolls Iv: Oblivion. Nothing like getting lost in a massive, fantasy world.
I wonder if I may have fought against your husband in a Halo match....
Old 06-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Veilingmeat Between 150 and 249 pointsVeilingmeat Between 150 and 249 points

Aye i'm with you all the way on that! all those stupid tricks and tips ppl put online are useless and and a load of crud...look at it as a feeble futile attempt to gain fame or clarity besides i have an Xbox 360 its not online tho, i use the PC for that! ....but typical for something as bad as that to go wrong with it like that when your actually due for a nice 2 week break from work and pain haha! sods law 'sod is a sod' NEVER be denied the ultimate wrath of Halo!!!

But i have to say...why i'v been gone for a few weeks is coz a certain buxom beauty has taken over my life.....she's just absolutly incredible, she can kick my arse anyday of the week, and walk all over me...right...well, anyway...Also BEHOLD!!! never be denied the 'gorgeous' wrath of the lovely Lara Croft even

Tomb Raider Anniversary....a bloomin marvelous game, i'v played EVERY single Tomb Raider there has been...all excellent games.
Anyway...thats my muse!
inspire thou in me something yet more,
present further perversions to my smoking heart,
and then shalt thou see how I shall plunge myself into them all!

-Marquis De Sade-
Veilingmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThisWay620 View Post
I would say my fav game is the Eldar Scolls Iv: Oblivion. Nothing like getting lost in a massive, fantasy world.
I wonder if I may have fought against your husband in a Halo match....
Maybe you have. He's actually really good and clocks up loads of points. I'll pm you his Xbox name and you can add each other to your friends lists. That would be cool.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
Little Bird
Administrator

Then again Marc, he could have fixed it for free with the towel method.

Spoke to a friend of mine in England yesterday. Her brother had the same problem on Tuesday and I suggested this trick. Guess what...it worked.

Every time this happens, you can just do the towel trick again. The reason it happens is the processor has a heat sink on top of it. The 2 need to be in contact for the heat sink to cool down the processor. The Ring of Death happens when the processor overheats as there is a miniscule gap that's happened over time.
Ironically, wrapping the Xbox in a towel and keeping it on, overheats the entire system where the components slightly expand and this forces the gap to close, therefore leading the heat sink to make contact with the processor again, cool down the chip and allow the Xbox to work as normal!

There are also small cheap kits you can buy on eBay that contain little screws that permanently secure the heat sink to the processor. This is a permanent solution and it pretty much all Microsoft will do but cheaper.

But hey, at least you'll get a fixed Xbox back regardless so that's the important bit. When will it be fixed?

MysteriousWisdom
Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veilingmeat View Post
Tomb Raider Anniversary....a bloomin marvelous game, i'v played EVERY single Tomb Raider there has been...all excellent games.
Anyway...thats my muse!
me too. I love those games. I felt very nostalgic playing the demo of the anniversary edition.

I notice she ahem....bounces quite naturally now. Us gifted women need to have a proper bounce to show our heaving bosoms. LOL.

On a side note. Marc....do you have Halo 2?

MysteriousWisdom

Last edited by Little Bird; 06-21-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

OMG!!! I'v just realised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Speaking of this 'Ring Of Death' thingmebob...its probably the reason why the fool chucked the Xbox out in the first place, you see as i work at a waste site, some git came in and chucked out an Xbox 360 that he claimed still worked! it looked brand spankin new, i taffed it and set it up at home and he was right...it worked fine and dandy, until it failed to stay on (prolly due to overheating) you see i took mine into a store to be fixed, unknowing about this 'towel wrapping' trick lol mind you...it does make sense now! thanks to Kiera's explanatory note
Quote:
Us gifted women need to have a proper bounce to show our heaving bosoms. LOL.
oooh yes you certainly do *grovels*
*ahem* moving on...As for Lara's bouncing boobies hahaaa, well what can a man say...but well done for generic realism eh i'v been playing that on the PS2! enjoyed every moment on that, brought back so many memories from 97.
As for Halo 2 i'm afraid i aint got that yet...i'v been on Shadow Run atm as for Xbox gaming is concerned

-Marquis De Sade-
Old 06-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

and as for 'Eldar Scolls Iv: Oblivion' looks absolutly fantastico!!!! GOT to get me a copy of that, as J said, nothing like being immersed within the realm of fantasy adventure!

-Marquis De Sade-
Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Little Bird
Administrator

I have copy of Xbox 360 game Halo 2. It's yours if you want it. Still sealed. I got it in work as I sit next to the Electrical & games buyer. Peter obviously has the game already and plays it all the time.

Seriously, yours if you want it.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #14
JThisWay620
JKF Member

Tomb Raider Anniversary looks great especially being on the PS2. My bro has all of the Tomb Raider games . I've only really played Legend, and thta was very enjoyable.

I just can't wait to get my lovely box back and start giving my thumbs the workout they are used to.

I know Microsoft is secretly adding a heat sink to any Xbox that come in for repairs. Hopefully it is true and I will eb able to enjoy a functioning 360 until I wear it out from natural use over time...
Old 07-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
Veilingmeat
Veiling yet very Meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThisWay620 View Post
I know Microsoft is secretly adding a heat sink to any Xbox that come in for repairs. Hopefully it is true and I will eb able to enjoy a functioning 360 until I wear it out from natural use over time...
Aye lad....lets just hope that Microsoft dont charge the bloody earth for this peice, for a problem that they failed to overlook eh!

As for Tomb Raider again...i just hope the luuuurvly Lara never dies, even if thay have to remake all the earlier Tomb Raiders

-Marquis De Sade-