The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points
Default Laptop Issues

I'm having issues with a laptop tha go on and off, now it is fine, but that's not later.

Problem: I have a Dell latitude laptop that's a refurbished model (probaly two years old maximum.) I noticed when I was checking my email this morning, these keys do not work. 8 i k ,

Is there something wrong with it? Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this? I could really use some help. Once again these keys do not work 8 i k ,

They are all in one vertical row, which means that probably the row of keys doesn't work. Please advise.

Jones
"The Lonely Angel"

Last edited by 007; 02-12-2007 at 05:32 PM.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I worked as an IT Support Analyst for over 6 years up until 6 months ago. The PC's and laptops we used throughout my tech support career were 90% Dell machines.

The predominant problem with almost all Dell Laptops were to do with the keyboard and touch pad. They are very flimsy and so break very easily.

Was any liquid on the keyboard at the area that is affected? If so, was it a sugary drink? I ask because sugar makes the keys sticky and can stop them from following the proper function of coming back up after being pressed or from being pressed at all. Do they work when pressed really hard? (though I don't recommend that because you could break them if not already)

If this isn't the case, could there be some trapped dirt. Those 3 keys are very close together, which makes me think this could be a cause.

If you've checked thoroughly that nothing is stopping preventing the keys from being pressed, then we need to think of a fracture somewhere in the keyboard.

If there is a fracture, the only answer is a replacement. A new keyboard is relatively inexpensive you can often buy cheaper parts online or on eBay. Depending on the model (I'm guessing a C600 or C610), it could set you back about $40. As it is refurbished, I'm doubting you have any warranty on it but if you do, call up Dell and log a call to get it replaced. They generally do next day replacement but not sure how it works over there. It is also very easy to fit, even to a novice but there are plenty of online resources to help and I would be happy to help in any way that I can. But if you do fit it yourself, you'll need a small philips precision screwdriver. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, then you could bring the laptop and the replacement keyboard to a computer repair shop. It takes about 5 minutes to do.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
Banned

007 Between 50 and 149 points

Wow, I never expected all that! You know your stuff, no doubt. And you worked in Information Technology.

No drinks were spilled, as I did that three years ago with another Dell, completely fried the system, an energy drink right into the computer, it was done. I've never gotten any liquid near my later ones since that detremental mistake. When I press the keys hard and fast by cliking repeatedly, they work, but it takes a few click to do it and get the keys going.

Thank you for your help, and you're very good at what you do.

Jones
"The Lonely Angel"
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
motoslam
mo

motoslam Between 50 and 149 points

aaaw dood u took ma signature