The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss > Your Artist Suggestions
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

I'm not sure how many of you like rock/hard rock, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Are there any hard rock songs or albums that you guys would reccomend? For some reason I've been in the mood to listen to really hard rock songs with good guitar solos. I don't want extremely hard songs where the lead singer yells all the time, but I don't want songs that aren't hard enough either, such as Linkin Park. I also prefer male singers, for some reason.

So, anyone think I'll find anything interesting? I'm thinking of getting an album sometime soon. :bananarock: :)

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

I've always been a little partial to AC/DC and The Cure. I've always hated David Lee Roth. I think he has no talent, but more importantly I think he is a jerk - and I'm trying to be nice. In fact it's this guy that makes me dislike Van Halen at all. I also like some Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin. Metal has many genres today - traditional, black, death, doom, hardcore, power, hair, thrash... I guess I mostly like older more classic bands. I've lost touch with the rock music scene of today. I can't name many newer bands at all.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:26 AM   #3
folderol and
Members

folderol and Between 10 and 49 points

I recommend this album...a nice blend of '80s rock:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...494511?v=glance

\ david
folderol and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
kjm030584

kjm030584 Between 50 and 149 pointskjm030584 Between 50 and 149 points

Okay, some places have Breaking Benjamine in the Metal section, but their album saturate has some really awesome stuff on it. You can sample it Here Particulary listen to Polyamorous, Skin, Home, Water, Medicate, Next To Nothing, and Phase. I really like their most recent album, "We're Not Alone" but it has quite a bit of screaming. If you're into mellow rock Definitely check out A Perfect Circle, my favorite APC songs are; Blue, Orestes, The Noose, The Outsider, Judith, Weak and Powerless, And from Emotive; Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum, Imagine, Annhialation. Godsmack is pretty good, check out Awake, Stand Alone, Voodoo *throb*, Bad Religion, and I F*cking Hate You.

If you're willing to change your male preference, Evanescence is pretty good. The majority of the band is male. Her vocals are amazing in that genre. *Spasms* If you are able to download any Evanescence songs check out; Going Under, Everybody's Fool, Haunted, Tourniquet, Imaginary and Whisper. I also like Lacuna Coil (Swamped and Heaven's a Lie) and check out some Jack off Jill, they have some really fun music; Strawberry Gashes, My Cat, and This Town.

If you like Grunge check out Silver Chair; Suicidal Dream, and Anthem. Or Nirvana; Heart-shaped Box, All Apologies, Marijuana, and Come As You Are.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:27 AM   #5
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

Well I am a huge Metallica fan so I recommend them. Specifically the Black album but I would say Load is a great start for Metallica virgins.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
Eibhlin
Oscillating Fan

Eibhlin Between 50 and 149 points

i would recommend Godsmack, any album, Hole, the album with Doll Parts, I like one white zombie song-Black Sunshine...thats all that comes to mind i was more into grunge

which btw, alice in chains and pearl jam are considered OLD now! well, according to one dj anyways :mecry:

I'd like to call you my wild horse and feed you silver sage

Andrea

an eye for an eye makes the world blind
Eibhlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
LonelyLullaby
Members

LonelyLullaby Between 10 and 49 points

Eibhlin you should become my best friend ^_^
Tracy if you want great rock I know that you don't want anything hard or where the lead singer screams but for example with Nirvana (which I would say if you didn't censor me with preferences ;) ) when you put the music on loud the screaming is great- you feel like he does the screaming for you. And it's just great music overall
The songs are catchy while being hard
But I would definitely recommend Hole otherwise- actually a lot of Jewel fans love them- she's got great lyrics and I know that not many agree with me but I absolutely love this band- it's one of my favorites
Download Dying, Malibu, Northern Star, Petals, Asking for It, Burn Black, Miss World, Doll Parts, Violet, Pale Blue Eyes
Believe me you'll absolutely love this. Please do
LonelyLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eibhlin@May 19 2005, 09:14 PM
which btw, alice in chains and pearl jam are considered OLD now! well, according to one dj anyways :mecry:
well in that case, I'm old as I am an original fan of both...especially Alice in Chains. Though they are grunge through and through.

MysteriousWisdom
Old 05-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Lissa
Members

Lissa Between 10 and 49 points

Life of Agony - www.lifeofagony.com
Keith Caputo (singer for LOA) - www.keithcaputo.com
Stone Temple Pilots
Soundgarden - singer Chris Cornell has an awesome voice

Definitely check out Keith Caputo. His voice makes me wanna cry.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
Angel_Eyes
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by LonelyLullaby@May 23 2005, 09:24 AM
Tracy if you want great rock I know that you don't want anything hard or where the lead singer screams but for example with Nirvana (which I would say if you didn't censor me with preferences ;) ) when you put the music on loud the screaming is great- you feel like he does the screaming for you.
Well, I guess I should be clearer. I like screaming in rock music, but not in most heavy metal where you can't understand the lyrics. I can't really explain how it sounds, but switching to the Music Choice "Metal" channel on tv, a song called Endless by Unearth came on. The song was almost over, but the yelling at the end was too much for me... that's what I'm talking about. I've heard most of Nirvana's songs, so I know what they're like. :P Ew, another song just came on that's a good example... Judged by Full Blown Chaos. -_-

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'll let everyone know what I eventually get. :)

&quot;I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
&quot;
Old 05-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #11
Little Bird
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lissa@May 23 2005, 04:06 PM
Soundgarden - singer Chris Cornell has an awesome voice
IN that case, check out AudioSlave

MysteriousWisdom
Old 05-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #12
LonelyLullaby
Members

Tracy with Nirvana you can never understand what he sings :) He always sounds like he mumbles. Besides does the " :P " mean that you don't like them?
And if you love to hear lyrics it's all the more reason why you would love Hole. Please please download them
And I love both Soundgarden and AudioSlave
And I love you both for mentioning it
Old 05-24-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
Angel_Eyes
Members

Yeah, I know how Kurt Cobain sings, but that's not really what I'm talking about. What I mean is in most heavy metal songs where the lead singer just yells each word and you have no idea at all what he's saying. With Kurt you get a basic idea and can make up words, but with the songs that I'm talking about the word doesn't even sound like a word, it just sounds like... a growl? A roar? I don't know, download that "Judged" song and you'll understand what I'm talking about, I hope.

Oh, and I do like Nirvana. The tounge smiley is just a silly thing that I probably use too often. :P See? lol.

&quot;I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
&quot;
Old 05-24-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel_Eyes@May 24 2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I know how Kurt Cobain sings, but that's not really what I'm talking about. What I mean is in most heavy metal songs where the lead singer just yells each word and you have no idea at all what he's saying. With Kurt you get a basic idea and can make up words, but with the songs that I'm talking about the word doesn't even sound like a word, it just sounds like... a growl? A roar? I don't know, download that "Judged" song and you'll understand what I'm talking about, I hope.

Oh, and I do like Nirvana. The tounge smiley is just a silly thing that I probably use too often. :P See? lol.
I've never bought anything Kurt Cobain sang. If I listened to Nirvana I would want to commit suicide and I love life too much for that. :P :P
Old 05-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
LonelyLullaby
Members

Actually I will download the song to see what you mean :) But I think I got the idea. And Lissa that reminds me- I'll download anything I'm not familiar with from your list ^_^

Quote:
I've never bought anything Kurt Cobain sang. If I listened to Nirvana I would want to commit suicide and I love life too much for that. :P :P
Aghr no you won't commit suicide or become depressed if you listen to Nirvana :angry: