The Jewel Kilcher Forum  

*** IMPORTANT WEBSITE NOTICE *** This website is no longer open and used for archive purposes only. No longer accepting new membership and all current members can login but no new posts are allowed. Please contact kiera@kieralambe.net if you wish to discuss this with the Administrator - Thank you ***

Go Back   The Jewel Kilcher Forum > Non Jewel Related > The Abyss > Your Artist Suggestions
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-31-2005, 04:16 AM   #1
Angel_Eyes
Members

Angel_Eyes Between 10 and 49 points

I know I've talked about this band before, but here lately I've been listening to their albums almost all the time and I'm just so in love with the music. The lyrics and everything makes me so happy and brings a big smile to my face. I just love it! :) If you guys can, try to find Light & Day (any of the 3 versions), It's The Sun (either of the 2 versions) and When the Fool Becomes A King. When The Fool Becomes A King is about 10 1/2 minutes long, but it's done in such a way that it's almost like 4 songs in 1. If you like those 3 songs, then get their albums! They're great, and they really will put you in such a good mood and make you so happy. So far no album has ever done that for me as much as The Polyphonic Spree's have, not even Jewel's with This Way or 0304.

So, try to find the songs and tell me what you think. If you can't find them, then I'll try to and upload them somewhere. :)

By the way, no, they are not a religious cult or something crazy like that. According to the FAQ on their forum, it says that Tim decided to wear robes because it'd look bad having 2 dozen people on stage in their everyday clothes.

"I am a princess and I'm locked inside a stone tower of song.
Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Jewel - Choose Me/Where You Are
Angel_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
MrCC
JKF Member

MrCC Between 10 and 49 points

I watched a show on them on TV a few weeks ago. It was interesting. He was talking about how they travel in a bus together because there are so many of them to travel efficiently without costing too much. It sleeps something like 26 people with no seats. Just beds and an bathroom. When I heard that I was thinking how long can this band last if they live on the road like that? I mean togetherness can be taken too far - and many bands have broken up over dirty looks. ;)

Their live shows are intersting looking. If they tour near me I am intersting in going to see them. I like the sound.

There are soemtimes bands that defy description. It's not like any other music I've ever heard anywhere. Truly a one of a kind sound. Like you say it makes you happy. The music really seems to be about using sound to bring on emotions rather than anything else. I've not read the words, but from what I've heard they don't seem to make much sense on the surface to me. It's really the sound that gets you though. They also are very interesting visually in their stage presentation with so much happening. Many instruments all playing simultaneously...and not always instruments you would espect in popular music - horns, strings, and everybody singing like a choir.

I have not bought any of their CD's yet, but I will eventually. :agree: :bunny: :bunnyjump: :ph43r: :thxblush: :lstory: :lovejkf:
Old 03-31-2005, 04:52 AM   #3
MrCC
JKF Member

I first heard about them in the old forums when Kiera posted this site. I've shown it to a few others: Quest for the Rest.

It's fun to figure this puzzle/game out.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Angel_Eyes
Members

Quote:
I watched a show on them on TV a few weeks ago. It was interesting. He was talking about how they travel in a bus together because there are so many of them to travel efficiently without costing too much. It sleeps something like 26 people with no seats. Just beds and an bathroom. When I heard that I was thinking how long can this band last if they live on the road like that? I mean togetherness can be taken too far - and many bands have broken up over dirty looks. ;)
Yeah, there's an interview on the DVD that came with the "Together We're Heavy" album and that's what he was saying. He said there's only 2 or 3 buses that were ever made like that, and one was reserved just for them. It did make me wonder how long they'd stay together, because he was also saying that not everyone gets along so well if they're on the bus for too long. Can't really blame them.

As for the words, they are kinda odd and most of them do get repeated a lot, but some are inspiring. Like in Light & Day, he sings "Just follow the seasons and find the time. Reach for the bright side." I love that part of the song. :) The thing about it though, even when the lyrics are repeated a lot, the music is done in such a way where it doesn't get repetitive (unlike I Wonder As I Wander on Jewel's Christmas album) and I love that. :)

Man, I really can't imagine anyone not liking them. It just boggles my mind. :o

Trying to write messages on the wind trying to send the message how I just want to belong.
"
Old 03-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Little Bird
Administrator

Little Bird Between 150 and 249 pointsLittle Bird Between 150 and 249 points

I love them. We need more fun loving happy groups like this. It's great happy music.

MysteriousWisdom
Little Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Angel_Eyes
Members

Oh, I just remembered that you guys can hear their songs at http://www.thebeginningstagesof.com and http://www.togetherwereheavy.com

Let us know what you think. :)

"
Old 04-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #7
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by little_bird@Mar 31 2005, 04:00 AM
I love them. We need more fun loving happy groups like this. It's great happy music.
Me too. I'm going to go out and buy some soon. If you were to buy only two of their albums which ones would you choose?

And thanks Angel Eyes for the post of samples. I'm going to listen to them all.

:lovejkf:
Old 04-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
Angel_Eyes
Members

You're welcome. :) As for their albums, I'm pretty sure that the only 2 they have are The Beginning Stages Of and Together We're Heavy. Beginning Stages Of is their first one (the "beginning stages of" The Polyphonic Spree) and Together We're Heavy is their newest one that was released last summer. My personal favorite is Together We're Heavy, but I'm sure you'll like both of them pretty well. :) When are you planning on getting them?

"
Old 04-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #9
MrCC
JKF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel_Eyes@Apr 9 2005, 01:30 PM
You're welcome. :) As for their albums, I'm pretty sure that the only 2 they have are The Beginning Stages Of and Together We're Heavy. Beginning Stages Of is their first one (the "beginning stages of" The Polyphonic Spree) and Together We're Heavy is their newest one that was released last summer. My personal favorite is Together We're Heavy, but I'm sure you'll like both of them pretty well. :) When are you planning on getting them?
This month some time. When I get time.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:59 AM   #10
Angel_Eyes
Members

Woah! They recorded a cover of Nirvana's Lithium and I have it! :D I don't know if it'll be against the board rules to post it here, but if you want it then just let me know and I'll send it to you. It's a really good version. :)

"